My Latest Posts

A daughter may outgrow your lap, but she will never outgrow your heart.

Tuesday 17 September 2013

Celebrating Onam @ Cochin

Happy Onam everyone!


Onam is one festival which is celebrated by Malayalees without any religious constrain in Kerala and across the world. Last year I was with by my dad, mom and Achamma (Dads mom)  in Mumbai and had good Onam Sadya and this year in cochin with grandparents, uncle, aunt and cousin Ananya. Will miss dad as he could not join us because of his job commitments but I had made sure me and mom will keep him posed on all the developments.


Memories of last year Onam in Mumbai


HAPPY ONAM



With Athapookkalam 
Me and Achamma




Playing with Dad

ME and Dad





























































It was an awesome trip this time to cochin, from the time I landed here the gifts were pouring like cats and dogs :) It was more than what I have expected. In fact I was practicing with my dad in Mumbai as to how I would be demanding gifts from all and make sure I get it :) … but to my surprise it looked like all were competing as to who would be giving me more ….. I love them all. 

Celebration Onam at Cochin



Anisha and Ananya

Getting ready for temple visit


My grandma was preparing for Onam from last 10 days …. Collecting gifts and stuffs to make various dishes to treat us for Onam Sayda. Thiruvonam day morning is always special, I went to temple with all and get ready for a gala Onam sumptuous feast  ..which includes best chips, kheer, palada …….   and ends with payasam.
Lovely Onam Sayda made by grandma


Enjoying my Onam Sayda

For my non Malayalee friends sharing the story my dad told about Onam -here is a summary.

Kerala in ancient times was ruled by a demon “Mahabali”  he was suppose to be a bad person but this dude was an exception. In his kingdom Kerala was prosperous and peaceful and the regime was so good that even Gods, felt threatened by his popularity so they devised a cunning plan to overthrow him.

They send Mr Vishnu(another Hindu god) dressed up as a sage(Vamana-A Brahmin boy). Mahabali being a very generous person he agreed to a request of 3 feet of land for the ‘sage’ to meditate.  Soon after the request was granted the sage turned to a mega-monster and covered sea with one and land in 2nd step and had nowhere to take the third step. 

As Mahabali never go back on his word, he asked the sage to take the next step on his head and in no time he was pushed to underground, forever. But before that Gods showed some mercy on him and granted permission to return to his homeland once every year to check on his people. And that day is Onam when the whole state is decked up to welcome their beloved king.

The other thing I liked about onam is the tradition of preparing beautiful Athapookkalam (rangoli with flowers) in olden days it was made in lawn outside everyone’s house but now with flat concept cemented bobby’s are decorated. I enjoyed all process and the final outcome.
pookkalam
Athapookkalam 


At the end all the efforts was paid off with a good lunch together with the whole family and loads of gifts. Next year also i will be here to celebrate Onam and will give list of gifts in advance :)

    

0 comments: